Go for Healthy Growth Miami Gardens
What is This Project About?
The Go for Healthy Growth campaign will leverage an existing coalition, previous programs, and policy successes in the City of Miami Gardens. This project aims to co-design a Healthy Restaurant Policy proposal and help strengthen an emerging advocacy communication loop, connecting stakeholders, youth, and elected officials.
Who is Involved?
The following groups will co-design the policy proposal to align with local and national policy examples that help ensure restaurants’ kids’ meals and beverages meet nutritional standards:
• Coordinating Agency: Urban Health Partnerships
• Coalition Partner: Live Healthy Miami Gardens
• Youth Leaders and Go-Getters
• Community Liaisons
• Local Restaurants
• City of Miami Gardens Staff and Elected Officials
Through This Project, We Aim to:
• collaborate with the youth through virtual and digital outreach
• gather and assess local restaurant and community member feedback to inform the Policy
• share updates about the development of the campaign
• build more efficient communication with elected officials to support furthering healthy food and beverage access policies
• positively impact the health outcomes of the City of Miami Gardens community (with a focus on youth and families) by driving industry improvements to the quality and standards of food and drinks
About the Funder
Founded in 1971, the Center for Science in the Public Interest is perhaps the oldest independent, science-based consumer advocacy organization with an impressive record of accomplishments and a clear and ambitious agenda for improving the food system to support healthy eating. Learn more about the Center for Science in the Public Interest here.
Join Us for the Next Co-Design Meeting!
What: Co-Design Meeting #2
When: Tuesday, August 17, 2021
Time: 10:00 am – 11:30 am
Where: Virtual Zoom Meeting
We encourage at least one representative from each partnering organization to be present at the Go for Healthy Growth Miami Gardens’ second co-design meeting.
Join stakeholders, community members, and partners to:
• review findings from co-design 1 to continue developing the healthy restaurant policy proposal for the Go for Healthy Growth Miami Gardens campaign
• learn about gaps and consider potential solutions within Miami Gardens’ existing policy systems
• identify action steps in support of the co-design process for the healthy restaurant policy proposal with restaurant owners, youth, community members, and stakeholders (e.g., assessment and communications)
• share input about ongoing efforts in Miami Gardens related to health and healthy food access
Co-Design Meeting 1 | Tuesday, June 22, 2021
Thank you for joining us for the first-ever Go for Healthy Growth Miami Gardens co-design meeting on Tuesday, June 22, 2021. Representatives from partnering organizations, stakeholders, and community members:
• learned about Go for Healthy Growth Miami Gardens
• reviewed existing policy examples that help guide the development of a Miami Gardens focused Healthy Restaurant Policy
• began the co-design for a Miami Gardens focused policy that involves restaurant owners, youth, and through the Go for Healthy Growth Miami Gardens network
• shared input about ongoing efforts in Miami Gardens related to health and healthy food access
• selected the official logo for this project!
Meet the Community Liaisons
Meet Community Liaison, Teara!
“I am very excited to work with south Broward community members on this project!”
Growing up in North Miami and now residing in Miami Gardens, as a mother and advocate of a teen with Down Syndrome, she values the importance of ensuring underserved communities have access to inclusive wellness and educational programs and resources.Teara has over 10 years experience in event planning, community organizing and advocating, possessing an assertive hands-on work experience and social-minded communication style, along with a fun and focused work ethic. Currently pursuing certifications in Forrest and Restorative Yoga, her intention is to spark conversations about social justice, on and off the mat. Teara is dedicated to providing communities safe and healing spaces to grow in, while acquiring tools to empower individuals in their self-care practices. Get in contact with Teara by emailing Teara@urbanhp.org.
Have questions, comments, or want to learn more about Go for Healthy Growth Miami Gardens?
Please contact: Arely B. Lozano Cantu, Health & Community Development Manager, Urban Health Partnerships
Phone: (954) 594-3509
Follow us on social media: